I remember the first time we were attacked. The screaming, the blood, the horror. I remember the popping and cracking. Of everything. It was the war we never expected.
The Blood Rain War.
It happened about a year ago. People living their normal lives, happy, content, just carefree. It came down to who had what news to brag about today, or who got a new house, or who the girl down the road was marrying. It was all about everyone else. “What’s happening with you?” “Oh! I’m so excited! My husband’s taking me out to dinner tonight!” “Oh, congratulations!” That was about what the day consisted of. Kindness. Our town even had a different name: Euphoria. The happy and joyous city of Euphoria. Known simply for it’s beauty and floral habitat. Always sunny.
Then the rain came.
The Blood Rain. Demons, everywhere. Unexpected and unrelenting. We had never seen anything like this before. Canine-like monsters. Cables and wires bordered their limbs like machinery, but black fur covered their whole body. Eyes of crimson, and stitches held the rips of the eyes together. (Yes, their eyes had rips in them.) Claws of silver, sharp as blades, and horns protruding from under their ears. The most important feature that I remember clearly was their teeth: long and jagged. Whenever you stared at them, it was like staring at the Anti-Christ himself. Well, that is…if you lived long enough to actually stare at them. They were quick and agile, even beautiful if you see things, how do I say….Differently? Not a sound, silent like mid-night, and they came in pulses. Packs and hoards, one after the other. Killing everyone around them, ripping them apart.
They were named the D.N.A. Demons. For their amazingly horrific ability to swap D.N.A. (You might want to cover your ears and close your eyes.) The only way they accomplished this was biting the neck of the poor victim, like your common vampire. Then, they’d inject a venom-like substance into the bloodstream, completely paralyzing them until they sort of…“shook violently” out of it. Here’s the creepy part: The body of the D.N.A. Demons sort of worked against them. In order to make sure that not too much venomous blood was injected into the body, it purposely popped it’s jaw out of place, and broke it’s jaws back. They opened so far that the skin bordering the corners of their mouths would tear and rip, and eventually, they’d explode black blood. The victim, over time, would turn into a D.N.A. Demon, and the process would repeat. (You can open your eyes and ears, now.) Mostly, they’d just kill people, but the cool part about the Demons is that they can tell when they die. From the moment they are, for lack of a better word, “born”, they know. So, they sort of commit suicide by injecting the blood into other people. I like to think of this as continuing the legacy. Even though…it’s…really, really…bad.
My name is Kriyo Asuna. I’m 17 years old, and I used to live in Euphoria. But ever since the city met the War, we changed it to Golgotha… “Skull Hill” some call it. Well, the D.N.A. Demon reaping was going to begin soon, around the time of the first full moon of the month. Yeah, it happened a lot. I remember my experience like it was today…
“KRIYO!” I heard my brother, Kryzad, yelling from the first floor. I groaned “Shut UP!” I yelled back. Soon I heard his disgruntled growl, and his stomping up the stairs. Bracing myself for the hugest lecture of the day, I pulled the covers over my head. “Kriyo. Get up. Now.” he emphasized ‘now’ sternly. I pulled my head out from the blankets and gave him the best puppy-dog-eyed face I could manage. He rolled his eyes, and smacked my head. “Ow! Idiot!” I grabbed my scalp, which was now sore at the moment, and glared up at him. He had shaggy black hair that hung in his face, and bright green eyes. He was victim to a D.N.A. Demon before, but luckily, the organization that deals with the Demons, (known as ORIGIN), was able to stop his process of mutation, and kill the parasites before they could kill him. He has a demonic arm, eye, and various other evil features on him. He has fangs, and the black fang marks on his neck, too. “Get ready. Today, we kill the remainder of the Rage Pack.” He turned again, and threw me the long coat of our uniform for ORIGIN members: a black long coat, tank top, black fingerless gloves, baggy black cargo pants, and combat boots. I growled again, and shook my head. “Get OOOUUUT!” I impersonated Arnold Schwarzenegger, and pushed him from my room to change. I closed the door and stared at myself in the mirror that hung on it. I had black hair and bright blue eyes. I dyed my bangs so that they were blue, too, and I currently had a very messy ponytail, held in by a stone ring. I sighed, and grabbed my uniform.
“I need a Magnum Loader SR006, Barret.” I handed him my ORIGIN card, and he nodded. Barret was our weapons dealer. He was one of those guys that you’d be really scared of because of his burly and buff looks, but ends up being a pushover once you befriend him. He had a patch on his eye for his demon eye. (his wife was a demon, so he…gouged her eye out…and put it in his own eye socket…) “Going with your older bro to fight some baddies, aye?” he smirked. “I guess.” I rolled my eyes. Barret laughed “Make sure you come back in one piece, alright Kiddy?” he yelled at me as I walked away, very large Demon-blasting gun in hand.
I walked down the hallway, where they were extracting Demon organs for research in the room beside me. I opened the door that led to the departing quarter, and searched for Kryzad. “Kriyo,” I heard him on my right “Over here.” he motioned me over. I trotted over quickly, and bowed quickly to him. It’s sort of what we did to apologize. He smiled, and patted my shoulder “Ready to go?” “Not really, I haven’t even thought about the Rage Pack since this morning. We can’t go in with just a few guns and blast them out! We need a stronger weapon. So that it can, I don’t know…work on all of them?!” I stressed at him. “I know, Kriyo, but we don’t have that technology, yet. C’mon, you can dispatch with me.” He walked off with his assistant. I sighed, following him closely.
“Hey! Over here!” I urgently whispered to my team. This consisted of Kryzad, my friends Hana and Reiko, and Kryzad’s assistant, Raelith. They crawled over behind the small trench I was in, and looked to where I pointed. It was the Rage Pack, sleeping soundly, except one, who looked out over the pack. “How are we going to get rid of the guardian?” Reiko whispered. “Well, we can’t blast him…” Kryzad growled quietly. Raelith smirked, and took out a tranquilizer gun. “I wouldn’t forget my Tranquilizer.” “Good job, Raelith.” Kryzad smiled, his fangs showing. With a precise aim, and a silent click, I saw the Demon fall weakly to the ground. “That won’t hold him, long. Kill as many as you can!” Kryzad whispered. We rushed over the rise, and gunfire exploded into the air.
Roars and banshee-like screams were heard. Raelith killed the tranquilized guardian, and I ended up killing at least 1 male Demon, and three female Demons, only noted by their smaller horns. I unloaded about 3 shots at the female Rage leader, and she fell to the ground. Hana shot at a Demon asleep, as well as her child, and Reiko backed her up. He seemed pretty confident about killing the surrounding Demons at the same time, and shot at them all with a lot of ammo.
I witnessed Hana shooting a few rounds at a Demon. But it all turned out badly when another one tackled her, and she screamed. I gasped “HANA!” I yelled. I saw blood burst from in front of the Demon, who I was behind a ways, and I looked away, tears in my eyes. “Sorry, Hana…” I whispered.
“Kriyo!” Reiko threw his gun on the ground. I looked up horrified. “You need this, you imbecile!” I yelled. “No, I don’t. I’m out of ammo.” he looked depressed, but he forced a smile. He closed his eyes, and a Demon shot his claws into his chest, killing him from behind. He roared at me, and I cried out in fear, shooting him as I ran in the opposite direction. I ended up running past the body of Raelith, who’s remains were, literally, all over the place. I couldn’t handle it anymore. I ran back towards the direction of the trench to take cover.
It was then I heard it. The blood curdling scream that would haunt me forever. I turned to the terrifying noise to see Kryzad’s good arm being held in the jaws of a Demon. I saw the Rage male leader scratching and ripping at his skin, while he was being pulled down by other Demons. I froze at first. They were killing him. This was followed by the sudden realization of anger, and I whipped around, Magnum pointed at all of the Demons crowding around him. I unleashed a few huge blasts at them, and they dispersed like shattering glass. Kryzad, still screaming in pain, was holding his arm, which was horridly gushing black blood. “Kryzad…!” I yelled, running over to him. He winced, and let go of him wounds. Bones were broken and visible, and his muscles were actually torn up. Kryzad leaned up “Is everyone…?” He asked silently “Yeah, everyone…” I sniffled. “Well, as long as your not dead…” he climbed his way up, and the remaining 4 Demons were tumbling after us, led by the Rage male. “Kryzad! The Demons!” I yelled. “Shut up! I got this!” he pulled out his Devastator Reload SD002, much to the unwillingness of his broken arm, and shot a bazooka-like blast at the Demons, who stumbled back, and screeched with pain and anguish. I was now crying my eyes out “There’s too much gore, here, Kryzad!” “Kriyo! What did I say about fear?” He growled, not moving his arm. “…That it was an illusion…?” I sniffled. “Yeah. Don’t think about it. Only think about revenge on the Demons…okay?” He nodded. “…Okay…” I paused and then gasped when a Demon was behind him. He ducked, and the Demon ended up grabbing me, instead. I screamed and kicked violently. “LEMME GO, LEMME GO, LEMME GO!” I was punching and kicking it in the face. “KRIYO!” Kryzad grunted, and fell to the ground as his arm disobeyed him. The Demon was squinting his eyes as I kicked, and he bit at my hand. It was snarling in annoyance, and I finally noticed the venom pouring from it’s mouth. I thought until I finally saw the picture of the exploding part in my head. “Oh no…” I whimpered. I heard finally his jaws cracking. His pupils dilated to the size of a small bead, and they rolled in the back of his head. The jaws began to open wider and the cracking was louder and louder. I heard one final loud pop, and I saw the skin tear completely around to the edges of it’s face as it screamed loudly, and exploded into ebon blood around me. I fell to the earth hard, and cried in the gravity that refused to break my fall. “K-Kriyo!” my brother was yelling out at me. I didn’t want to answer. I couldn’t answer. The shock that sent me to the ground had totally wiped out any other emotion, except for fear. Fear was not an illusion. It was real. I witnessed it. It actually exploded in my face, that was fear. I was shaking miserably and I heard my heart pounding violently in my chest. It pumped my blood while the blood on me was covering my skin. I smelled the blood of a Demon…meaning I smelled the blood of a friend. I cried silently. The tears washed away the inky substance on my face, and Kryzad was dragging himself around, looking for me. In the remains of all of the Demon, he searched for me. “Kriyo! Kriyo!” he yelled, crying and yelling. I desperately wanted to reply, but my voice wouldn’t work. I felt faint, and soon, all I could see clearly was a black fog over my eyes…
I awoke to the sound of flames and screams. I wake up to this every morning! I groaned. I then remembered what happened, and I got up quickly. I searched around. Every home was on fire, and Demons were everywhere, in corpses and in running entities. I saw a neighbor of mine running madly for her house, and I ran up to her. “Hey, I--” I was cut off by her loud screaming as I approached her. “Hey! I’m talking to you!” I cried. I felt a sudden pain in my shoulder, and I turned around. It was another team Kryzad had sent out. “Idiots! What are you doing?!” I attempted to backhand him upside the face, but I sent him flying to the side instead. When I looked to see why, I was answered in a terrible way. I saw the claws of a D.N.A. Demon, and the black fur of the hated beasts. I gasped in horror. I looked down to the rest of me, and saw cables and wires sticking out around my arms and legs. I screamed viciously, and I suddenly felt the lust for blood. “No…” I shook my head “No! If I want to kill people, I will force myself to be a vegetarian!” I grabbed my head angrily. The rest of the team shot bullet after bullet at me. “Give it all you got!” I heard one say. “Hey! This is Kriyo you’re shooting at!” I lunged at him, and pulled his head clear off his body. I flung his body at another team member, and I smacked myself physically. “No! Bad Demon!” I growled, and rammed my face into the earth with rage. I couldn’t help but be drawn to the sudden scent of my brother as I searched for him. I had a few D.N.A. Demons trailing behind me, and I punched them away. “Get away!” I roared. They yelped, and scurried away, but I felt a certain pang of regret that said ‘they are your family, you thick-headed mutt.’ I shook the thoughts away, and pressed on, quicker in my step.
“Kryzad! Kryzad!” I yelled. I leapt onto a house, and when a few people ran out, I leapt onto them, and tore them up incessantly. “Oh, uh, Sorry!” I hit myself again. “I have to stop doing that!” I preformed a face-palm, (definition: the act of putting a hand to your face in regret. Because expressing how stupid that was in words just doesn’t work.), and continued. I came across many bodies of people around this area. I stopped when I came to the ORIGIN door. It had blood all over it, broken glass was everywhere, and claw marks were etched into it’s walls. “K-…Kryzad…?” I asked silently. I heard a click behind me, and I turned quickly. There, holding my Magnum Loader, was Kryzad. “You killed Kriyo…you sick monster…” he sounded very, very, very angry with the D.N.A. Demons, right now. “Kryzad! It’s me!” I yelled. I backed away. He breathed heavily, and his eyes narrowed, as the Magnum was raised up towards me. I remembered, unfortunately, the D.N.A. Demons speak telepathically. They are incapable of speech, and instead of a voice box, have a venom sac in their mouths. This was very bad, seeing as how I was now in the perfect position of dieing. I yelped, and backed away. I attempted writing my name in the wall, but I ended up only writing the ‘K’ before he kicked me down. “Listen, you blood-sucking scum, I don’t want you anywhere near here. You killed the only person I had left of my family, and I only want you all DEAD!” He screamed at me. My ears pinned back and my eyes widened. The cables in my arms seemed to tingle a bit, and I felt my mouth watering. From the smell, his half-Demon blood smelled fantastic. It was a sweet-smelling odor, one that was like a drug. It filled my nostrils and lungs, and I felt myself shaking with excitement. “No! Stupid Demon side!” I thought loudly. I heard the second loud reloading click of my Magnum, and I looked up. As I stared at the gun I could see everything I was. Everything I’d done. Everything I’d lived for. It was scary. I felt tears welling up in my eyes, and I saw Kryzad second guessing himself as I gave him that puppy-dog face. I somehow pulled out the stone ring that held my ponytail in, and I tossed it beside him. He glanced down at it, then looked back at it in a double-take. “Kriyo…?” he whispered. His demon arm pulsed. You know what you have to do… I though. He heard me…he nodded. At my reflection, I sighed, disgusted by my new form.
As I stared down the barrel of the Magnum, I saw nothing reflected in it’s cold steel…
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, what'd you think?! :D Tell me! TELL ME! >:O
*giggles* :D
Kriyo is pronounced "Kree-oh"
Kryzad is pronounced like... "Cry-zad"... (Dur.)
Raelith is "Ray-lith"
Hana is "Hah-nah"
Reiko is "Ray-ee-ko"
And the title D.N.A Demon is not final, I may make a latin version name, or something, kay?
Rate, PLZ. :D
~Azure Eternal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment